Centro de Artes is an institution dedicated to telling the story of the Latino1 experience in the U.S. with a focus on San Antonio and South Texas through local and regional art, history and culture, and dedicated to sharing the transnational experience of Latinos in the U.S.
ABOUT CENTRO DE ARTES
Located in the heart of downtown San Antonio’s Zona Cultural on the grounds of Historic Market Square, Centro de Artes is a two-story exhibit space dedicated to telling the story of the Latino experience with a focus on South Texas through local and regional art, history and culture, and showcasing Latino artists and Latino-themed artworks.
Centro de Artes presents a full season of solo and group exhibitions and programming annually through an open call managed by the City of San Antonio Department of Arts and Culture. We support emerging and established Latino artists, curators, organizations, and community groups working in all disciplines.
1. In this document, the term “Latino” will be used to represent all genders and orientations.
Centro de Artes Strategic Plan Update - January 22, 2019
February 7 - June 2, 2019
July 12, 2018 - January 13, 2019
February 8 - June 10, 2018
October 23 - December 17, 2017
July 13 - December 17, 2017
March 9 - August 20, 2017
February 9 - June 11, 2017
December 2016 - February 2017
October 2016 - January 2017
October - November 2016
Open Call Dates: August 5 - September 27, 2019
Deadline: September 27, 2019 • 5:00 p.m. (Central Standard Time)
The City of San Antonio seeks exhibition proposals from area, state, and national curators,
artists, artist groups, and organizations interested in exhibiting and programming at Centro de
Artes starting in February 2021 and December 2022.
Two to four exhibitions may be selected per year. Selected respondents will receive
administrative and marketing support for the exhibition. Additionally, some funds are available for
curatorial services, artist fees, and other related expenses. The City of San Antonio, Department
of Arts and Culture staff will work directly with marketing and installation teams.
We recommend that you visit the gallery in preparation for writing your proposal.
- Proposals should showcase local and regional art, history, and/or culture featuring San Antonio
and/or regional Latino artists and/or art work.
- All practicing professional (emerging and established) curators are eligible to submit proposals
individually, in collaboration with one or more curators, or on behalf of an organization.
- Curators submitting a proposal to Centro de Artes must not act as art dealers, be employed
by art dealers, or retain an interest in dealership of any of the art work by the artist(s)
included in their proposal.
- Curators should not include themselves as an exhibiting artist in group show
- All practicing professional (emerging and established) artists are eligible to apply for a solo
exhibition, or as part of a group exhibition.
- Artists submitting proposals, either on their own behalf or as part of a group, must include
information in their Proposal Narrative as to how they will establish an objective perspective
in the interpretation of their art work.
- Artist representatives are ineligible to apply.
- All arts agencies and/or non-profit organizations with a mission or programming that focuses on
Latino Arts & Culture are eligible to submit proposals.
- Respondents may submit only one proposal per exhibition cycle, either as curator, artist, or
representative of an organization.
- Artwork must be available for exhibition and installation-ready to be considered for selection.
An Evaluation Committee made up of members of the Centro de Artes Committee and City of San
Antonio staff will be responsible for reviewing and evaluating proposals in accordance with the stated
selection criteria as well as the adherence to the Mission and Strategic Plan of Centro De Artes. Staff
will make recommendations, and the Centro de Artes Committee will approve the selections. Once
exhibitions are selected, staff will contact the respondent to negotiate terms of agreements which will
include, but not be limited to, coordination of loan agreements, exhibition schedules, and installation
During the Open Call and Selection Process, applicants must not contact any member of the Centro de Artes committee to discuss their application.
Selections will be based on proposal’s alignment with the Mission of Centro de Artes, artistic merit
and quality of the proposal, respondent’s experience and qualifications, and suitability of the
exhibition/program to the facility.
The building is considered conducive to artwork exhibits rather than performances. However,
performance programming may be considered; programming should consider architectural and
acoustical limits of the building.
Artwork dimensions and weight may factor as selection criteria based upon space limitations and/or
Consideration includes maintaining standards of public display and must be appropriate for general
audiences in order to be considered for exhibition.
The City of San Antonio maintains final decision regarding the installation and display of all artworks.
The information listed below identifies the criteria that will be used by the evaluation committee when
50% - Artistic Merit and Quality of Proposal
- Artistic merit and overall strength of the artist(s) and/or art work included in the proposed
- The proposal appropriately conveys the respondent’s concept.
- Proposed exhibition adheres to the Centro de Artes mission statement/strategic plan and its
commitment to telling the story of the Latino experience.
- For individual artist submissions: Artist has provided sufficient information regarding their
ability to present an objective perspective of their work.
30% - Experience and Qualifications
- Respondent has an established track record of successful exhibitions/programs, or
demonstrates (through education, training, and/or experience) the ability to successfully
present a professional exhibition/program at Centro de Artes.
- For individual artist submissions: Artist has at least five years’ experience and/or specialized
art training, such as a degree or certificate, as well as a professional portfolio that includes
publicly displayed works.
- Respondent demonstrates knowledge of Latino culture and history, specifically as it relates
to the Centro de Artes Mission.
20% - Suitability of the Exhibition/Program to the Facility
- Proposal is feasible and has the ability to meet city and facility requirements, including
schedule, space/architectural limitations, and budget constraints.
- Exhibition/programming content is appropriate for general audiences.
HOW TO APPLY
All proposals and supporting documents must be submitted via the Online Application no later than Friday, September 27, 2019, 5:00 p.m., Central
Standard Time; late submissions will automatically be disqualified.
The online application form will take you through the following questions:
- Contact Information: Provide information for the primary contact/organizer of the
- Exhibition/Program Information
- Proposed Title
- Proposal Narrative (600 word limit): Provide a statement describing the concept of
your proposed exhibition/programming. Include use of proposed gallery space and
- Artist/ArtWork Information
- Logistics and schedule
- Exhibition History
- Proposed Public Programming
- Line Item Budget and Available Funding Sources - Centro de Artes exhibitions are funded by the City of San Antonio Department of Arts and Culture. However, all applicants will need to submit a line item budget outlining their proposed exhibition expenses. Your available budget will vary dependent upon the size of your exhibition. For more information, please review the FAQ document, Budget Template, and Sample Budget linked below.
- Resume/Bios: Submit a resume and/or bio for the lead administrator, curator(s), solo artist, or main contact. For proposals with multiple artists, you may submit a resume and/or bio for each artist. Documents may be combined into a single file for submission.
- Work Samples: Include 10 - 20 images, video, and/or audio files of work that will be included
in the exhibition.
If you have any questions, please contact Stephanie Torres, Sr. Exhibitions Analyst at 210.207.1436.