Posted 19 days ago ago by Javier Flores (Arts)
Visitor Engagement Representative (Part-Time)
Blue Star Contemporary (BSC), San Antonio’s first and longest-running venue for contemporary art, seeks a part-time Visitor Engagement Representative (VER) to welcome the visiting public and encourage support of BSC’s many exhibitions, education programs, and community initiatives. The Visitor Engagement Representative is one of the public faces of BSC and ensures a welcoming environment for approximately 300,000 annual program participants and artists.
The successful candidate will exude confidence when communicating about contemporary art, manage multiple tasks at a time, and enjoy engaging directly with BSC’s visitors and members. They are passionate, proactive, organized, and a good communicator. The VER reports to the Education Manager and works collaboratively with the entire BSC staff.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Staff admissions desk; greet visitors; process admissions, art sales, and memberships
- Orient visitors to the current and upcoming exhibitions, public programs special events, educational programs, museum mission, etc.
- Enforce security concerns and protocol (no touching, photography policy, etc.)
- Answer and direct phone calls and respond to general questions about BSC, its exhibitions, and public offerings
- Assist visitors with general local information (e.g., directions, cabs, neighborhood activities, places to eat)
- Encourage visitors to interact with Art Education Learning Lab
- Assist in management of Gallery Monitors and Volunteers
- Assist with online promotions of exhibitions, programs, and special events
- Seek visitor and guest evaluations and feedback
- Schedule and lead exhibition tours (tours are an opportunity for extra hours)
- Assist during public programs and events
- Organize and update front desk printed materials
- Provide general administrative assistance, as assigned
- Must have the ability to provide excellent service to a diverse customer base, making everyone feel welcome, while being both friendly and assertive
- Possess excellent communication skills, verbal and written. Multi- lingual, highly preferred
- Ability to represent BSC with a high level of integrity and professionalism, adhere to BSC policies and support management decisions in a positive, professional manner
- Demonstrated organizational and task management skills
- Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time—up to 4 hours at a time
- Attention to detail and the ability to stay alert for long periods of time in a quiet environment
- Punctuality, dependability, flexibility, and adaptability in a dynamic event-driven environment
- Knowledgeable in standard computer and Mac OS applications and programs, i.e. MS Word, MS Excel, email, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience working in a gallery or museum plus facilitating tours preferred
- Must be able to lift up to 30lbs
- Experience in cash handling and check & credit card processing
Guided by its mission to inspire the creative genius in all of us by nurturing artists, Blue Star Contemporary is a dynamic, innovative destination for contemporary ideas. BSC is an equal opportunity employer. This is an hourly position requiring availability for weekend, evening, and holiday shifts while exhibitions are on view and open to the public at 20-22 hours a week at the rate of $13/hr. Decreased hours during exhibition turnover. The Visitor Engagement Representative position is non-exempt from the Fair Labor Standard Act and will receive overtime pay for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a 7-day work week.
Applicant will submit an application cover letter, a CV/resume, and references to email@example.com. The successful applicant will be subject to a background check.
Application Deadline: June 20, 2019
||Blue Star Contemporary