"Our City, Our World Heritage" Student Film Contest
Deadline: June 9, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. CT
This contest offers young people of two age groups, 14 - 17 and 18 - 21 years old, the chance to enter two film contests at once. The winning "Our City, Our World Heritage" entries will not only be awarded a local prize, but will be automatically entered into the Organization of World Heritage Cities' (OWHC) International Video Production Competition. The goal of this competition is to allow young filmmakers to:
- Acquire a better knowledge of world heritage.
- Develop a stronger sense of belonging and pride concerning world heritage, through their personal vision.
- Express themselves on world heritage and, in particular, on that of their city.
- Ensure they are involved in the conservation and enhancement approach of the cities recognized as treasures of mankind.
- All entrants must be between 14 and 21 on the date their entry is uploaded to YouTube.
- Entry must be uploaded to YouTube between April 20 and June 9, 2017.
- Filmmaker must fill out a San Antonio Film Permit prior to filming at cultural areas or any other City of San Antonio park.
- Each entrant is limited to submitting one film for this contest.
- Each entry must showcase San Antonio as a World Heritage City.
- Entries must be no shorter than three (3:00) minutes and no longer than five (5:00) minutes in length. Title screens, logos, credits or introductions before and/or after the actual video will count toward the five-minute maximum limit.
- Entries with narration must be in English or Spanish (if in Spanish, English subtitles must be included).
- Entries must include the San Antonio Film Commission logo on its own screen at the beginning or end of the film with the language, "Filmed in San Antonio, Texas." The logo and language must appear on the screen for a minimum of three (:03) seconds.
- Entries shall not contain obscene material as defined by Section 43.21 of the Texas Penal Code. Any entry deemed as containing such obscene material will be excluded from the competition.
- Entrants must obtain all proper permissions for use of other artists' works, including music. Filmmakers must be able to show proof of these permissions.
- By entering this competition, entrants permit the City of San Antonio and all umbrella departments full ownership of the entry for marketing and other promotional uses. Uses include, but are not limited to:
- Inclusion on social media sites, including YouTube and Vimeo
- Inclusion on City of San Antonio and affiliated websites
- Online advertising, including national/international media outlets and websites
- Showings at festivals/tradeshows with City of San Antonio representation
- By submitting an entry, filmmakers will be eligible to work on a contract basis with the City of San Antonio to edit or add elements to the films for further promotional use by the City. Filmmakers will be contacted about these opportunities by the City, should they arise.
HOW TO ENTER
In order to participate, entrants must place the following items in one envelope:
- 2017 "Our City, Our World Heritage" Student Film Contest Entry Form
- Two (2) copies of the film on a non-returnable USB flash drive. Film must be completely edited and in final form in a .mov (iMovie), .mpg (Quick Time), .wmv (Windows Movie Maker, Windows Media Player, etc.), or .avi (Audio Video Interleave) format.
Entrants must then send or hand-deliver the non-returnable envelope and items by Friday, June 9, 2017 at 4 p.m. CT to:
2017 "Our City, Our World Heritage" Student Film Contest
c/o San Antonio Film Commission / Department of Arts & Culture
Office of the City Clerk
100 Military Plaza, 2nd Floor
San Antonio, Texas 78205
The deadline for all submissions is Friday, June 9, 2017 at 4 p.m. CT.
- Applicants will receive a confirmation email after the entry has been received and logged. Please verify that the correct email address is on the entry form.
- Late entries will be ineligible for judging and prizes.
- Incomplete submissions will be ineligible for judging and prizes.
Judging will be based upon criteria set in place by the San Antonio Film Commission in coordination with the Department of Arts & Culture. All entries will be judged by a panel of industry professionals and judging criteria will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Quality of the production
- Processing of the content
- Originality and creativity
- Representation of San Antonio
Note: All films will be scored on a 100-point scale and must score 75 points or greater to be considered for an award. The San Antonio Film Commission and Arts & Culture staff reserves the right to pre-screen films for artistic merit and to submit only those films deemed appropriate and suitable to the judging panel. There is no guarantee that all films will be submitted to the judging panel.
- First ($1,000), second ($500), and third ($250) place prizes will be awarded in each age group.
- First-prize winners in each age group will be automatically entered into the international contest portion of the "My City, Our World Heritage" film contest organized by OWHC. At this level, entries will be judged by a jury of three people selected by OWHC. The jury panel will review all submissions by each participating World Heritage city and will select the video production that will win the international competition.
Following the panel's decision, the videos of the two overall winning filmmakers will be recognized at the OWHC World Congress in Gyeongju (Republic of Korea) that will take place October 31 - November 3, 2017. The OWHC will also award the winners with the international prize of $1,000 for the 14 - 17 age group and $2,000 for the winner of the 18 - 21 age group.
Local prizes will be awarded at a screening event. More details will be announced at a later date. Winners not in attendance must make arrangements to have their prizes mailed to them or winners may elect a proxy to accept the prize on their behalf.
The San Antonio Film Commission reserves the right to change this program at any time.